Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime Class Action Lawsuit against ORIUS

actually if you pay minimum wage and then bonuses to make up to the peice rate minus the wage payed then it wouldnt matter if overtime was used or not.

> Yes you're right the system can be worked by dishonest employees but it's the law you have to pay overtime so
> you match your employees with their abilities, if you have
> one thats dogging you you make sure they get the work that
> earns them minimum wage. This is the only way I've been
> able to stay legal and continue to pay piece rates. It takes
> effort on both the employer and the employees
>
> > Just a thought... If employee A takes 60 hrs. to reach 10,000 ft. and employee B takes 40 hrs. does employee A benefit from lack of production with overtime? Why did it take employee A 20 hrs. more? I would also welcome being on piece rate again, but I think overtime for piece rate is crap..
> >
> > > The problem is not prime contractors trying to cheat their
> > > employees it's not knowing the law. Most contractors think
> > > that if they pay peice rate they don't need to pay overtime.
> > > I'm a contractor with several employees on peice rate and I
> > > pay overtime thinks to a employee who about 4 years ago threatened to sue me (his wife worked for the labor department
> > > in the state I was working) for overtime. I went to the labor
> > > board a explained my problem and told them that no-one in
> > > our business paid overtime on peice work. They explained to
> > > me that I had a problem, you have to pay overtime. You take
> > > the weeks production(10,000ft. x .15 = $1500)divide this by
> > > the total hours for the week, lets say 60hrs. (1500 /60=25)
> > > the employees hourly wage was $25 an hour so you owe him or
> > > her 20 hours of overtime. Overtime rate is $37.50 or 20hrs
> > > times $12.50 plus the production ($1500) $12.50 x 20=$250+
> > > $1500=$1750 for the week. I couldn't afford this because
> > > I didn't bid my job to pay this. I reduced my peice rate to
> > > .12 and paid my employees overtime I've been doing this
> > > for four years and it works well. (10,000ft x .12 = $1200
> > > divided by 60 = $20 dollars per hr. overtime is $30 per hr.
> > > os 20hrs. at $10 per hr = $200 plus $1200 =$1400 for the weeks
> > > peicework plus overtime. I found that the only people who
> > > got a wage cut was the people complaining. Sorry to be so
> > > long winded but this is important and the fix is easy this
> > > formula works in all four states that I work in. Go Fish
> > >
> > > Butch
> > >
> > > > Very well put - nice job.(clap)
> > > >
> > > > > I would welcome being paid on production. If everyone was paid on production with quality, I feel this world would be a better place.
> > > > > When you have people on hours they feel they can hit one location in 8 hours and call it a day. On production they can hit 20+ locations and done correctly and the quality is there.
> > > > > Yes, part of your production is loading and unloading materials on your truck. This only benefits you!
> > > > > The only people in this business not making money are the lazy ones that expect everything handed to them. They need to find a desk job; hopefully it will pay them a lousy hourly rate. Because your the type that would sit and play video games on the computer and wouldn't thing anything of it.
> > > > > For the most part the average worker is in early at the end of the day as often as the days they work late. In my 7 years in this business I have hardly ever seen someone work a full day on a Friday. So have you really put in over 40 hours in any given week?
> > > > > Note: To the ATTORNEYS
> > > > > Maybe, you should find a way to have the laws changed instead of making it more difficult for the rest of use, who prefer it this way!
> > > > > What is it telling you, when you have to go on the Internet to locate a handful of people not happy across the country? I think you should leave well enough alone. The only ones that are going to come forward are the individuals that should not be in this business in the first place.
> > > > > This business is based on production to get a job done, with quality. This is the way the job is bid. I feel the companies are willing to give you a percentage of the production, this is costing them a lot more than full time employees at an hourly rate. For the most part the average hourly rate is between 8-15 dollars an hour. Since you are on production you have the opportunity to better yourself. With production the average rate is at least twice that.
> > > > > The way I see it, the company is paying you double time on 40 hours and under. If a person in this business cannot double or triple their hourly rate on production then they need to find another job. Perhaps flipping burgers at the local burger joint.
> > > > > Can someone explain to me the difference of being on production to a sale person or realtor on commission, a waitress on tips, or a salary person putting in 50-60 hours a week? So why do the laws differ here?
> > > > > Everyone is told up front and given a price sheet on pay. If they didn't want to agree to this they should have never taken the job in the first place. They are also given an hourly rate that they also agreed on for the occasions they are on hours. This they also agreed on when they took the job. If you were to ask anyone in this business to be paid hours instead of production, then no one would do it
This is CABL.com posting #81257. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mviL
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime Class Action Lawsuit against ORIUS by Butch Cassidy
There are 0 replies to this message