Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Any one done this before

This is for a very rich gentleman, with a house worth a couple of million $$$$$$. The only cable burried in the property are 50 ohms cable and multimode fiber. Because of security and other equipments buried under the lawn, he told me "it is either use the multimode fiber or the 50 ohms cable". I have tried the 50 ohms cable, as you know 300 metres about (990 ft) the signal at the end is so bad, it is not practical. This gentlleman does not want a dish on the house and he want cablemodem access, so I the only solution is the multimode fiber.

I have  contacted with engineer friend from LUCENT, I was planning to use an optical singlemode jumper at each end of the multimopde fiber with a ST multimode connector at one end and a SC/APC at the other end. This friend at LUCENT tell me to expect about 12 to 14 dB loss at each end of the jumper. Since the most powerfull AM transmitter is around 14 dBm and I would required around - 2.0 dBm at the reciver for a 16 dB loss, with the 2 jumpers at each end I am now looking at 12 to 14 dB multiply by 2 or 24 to 28 dB loss, plus the 300 mt of multimode fiber, I wont have enough light at the receiving end to get the photo diode exited.

It seems that my only chance is to try to fuse the single mode jumper to the multimode cable, OTDR one end until I get around 2 to 3 dB loss, do the same at the other end. Then a 14 dBm transmitter could do the job.

Will let you know how it turn out....................wishe me LUCK....

Joe 50
This is CABL.com posting #81047. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvfn
Posted in reply to: Re: Any one done this before by franmc
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Any one done this before corvette 8/16/2002 8:30:00 AM