Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Seeking advice from real lineman....

i started hooking poles free hand in 1988. fell 3 times b4 i got any training...causing permanent damage to my back. started hitchiking poles to do plant extensions/risers in 1990 and have not fell once since. i am slow. most of these guys could run circles around me. but the power guys i see hitchike also.i am as safe at 2 feet above ground as i am at 65 feet up. i have learned to carry a ladder easily and quickly, but still think the "ladder boys" should get in to house painting or something. how tall you are also relates to lower back damage. a short stocky guy cant get up as fast as a bean pole, but his back will last alot longer. it is an issue of leverage (mostly with lifting, not climbing). the power guys around here (wps, wisconsin) are using whatever buckets they can as much as possible. i dont see alot of them hook. gotta be ready, tho, and getting out of practice is bad news.when i had all bucket truck running i used to hook one a day anyway for practice..that ladder weight you're hauling will screw up your back,shoulder, and hip if you carry it long enough.you wont need it if you go in to line work for a power co. its hooks or bucket. the supervisory deal will depend on a: the opportunity. b: the current linecrew. there is ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT for someone who shows they dont know what they are talking about. if you make sup, you better be kissing serious ass with your best linemen, yes linemen plural, and be asking their advice. they will either make an agreement with you as a newby or f*** you so hard in front of your boss that he/she will either(realize they are giving you a hard time) or sh**can you for a better candidate. i worked for the phone company for less than a year when my boss "suggested" i apply for a vacant supervisor postition in a nearby town. i said no immediately and have been successful where i am at. 90% of all new build around here is underground. most of the power co. guys are operators.....hope that helps.

> I'm seeking some advice from some veteran lineman. I've been installing and burying drops for about 4 years. I'm interested in going back to college for utility line for a couple of years. My only big concern is that my body doesn't know what it's in for. Just how hard is the lineman occupation on the body. I'm in my early 20's and can already feel the effects of tugging a 28' ladder around all day. I just don't want to feel 60 when I'm 30. What kind of a toll does it take on the body. Also, about how long does it take before one can move up to a supervisory position generally? Thanks alot for the feedback to any who reply.(confused)
This is CABL.com posting #80554. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mu7q
Posted in reply to: Seeking advice from real lineman.... by teledog
There are 0 replies to this message