Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Re Well put!

Let me quote you “Satellite providers also contribute nothing to the local economy or educational systems”. Do you really think that I am the only installation company in St Louis? There are hundreds of independent installers and companies in the area that my company covers. I am not a lone installer. I employ others and am in the process of adding 20 more. If you add up what we bring into our local economy through sales and installs it is most certainly several million annually.

I have no idea how cable companies giving away millions in dish buy backs leads to “MANY keep the dish and get cable. Many are seeing throught the smoke and mirrors of the sat agreements and contracts, If your service is so good, why di they even have contracts.” What the hell does that mean? Of course they have contracts, they install and provide most, if not all, of the equipment for free. Do cable companies have digital agreements for their digital customers? Hell yes they do and they are a lot longer and more detailed then any satellite agreement! What smoke and mirrors? It’s all there in large print on one page.

Your not making sense, go take a nap.
(sleep)

> I will go intgo detail later tonight when I have time. But let me count the economic bom generated by your sat operation...I count 4 people. Wow, your town must have 2.5% unemployment with an economic boom like you waving thru.
>
>
> BTW, you must do alot of work for your tax guy to make a living solely off of you. That guy would be in business whether you cut another jumper in your life.
>
> As for the buy backs, many are given 100.00 credit, true. However, MANY keep the dish and get cable. Many are seeing throught the smoke and mirrors of the sat agreements and contracts, If your service is so good, why di they even have contracts. (poke)
>
> I don't have time for the reast now, but rest as(poke)sured...I'll get to it tonight.
>
> > You said NEVER. That’s a gutsy call. I’m aware of the inherent lag in satellite Internet, and I occasionally game, that’s why I don’t use it. I am also aware of the inherent distance problems with cable modems, you have to be a hell of a lot closer to the head end then 22,400 miles to get one. Like I said, satellite internet services are in their earliest stages, I wouldn’t venture to say they will NEVER overcome their technological challenges. I am not misinformed. I understand the challenge. I just believe in the ingenuity of man. We are a very industrious and creative race, we do lots of things that were once thought to be impossible.
> >
> > Your point about programming is a small consideration, every provider pays for programming and it’s essentially a wash. If Cable wants to add 5000 new customers next year they have to spend millions in construction today. If DirecTV or Dish wants to add 5000 new customers next year, all they have to do is call me, and fortunately for them I charge a fraction of what it would cost a cable company! Not to mention that the cable company is hampered by geographical considerations, you can’t easily serve people who aren’t near you or you can’t reach because of terrain. Satellite services have only to deal with LOS and only about 1% of the people I deal with are LOS challenged.
> >
> > It sounds like you work in a pretty good system, count yourself lucky, that’s a rare thing. I’m wondering what that monthly bill is that includes all of those services and maintenance your so proud of? It’s funny that you don’t see the irony in having to buy back all of those dishes. You have to PAY THE CUSTOMERS to get them to switch. Lets see, 7000 dish buy backs times a typical buy back credit of $150, oh my god! That’s $1,050,000 spent bribing customers to come back. If your system is typical you probably also gave them a reduced monthly rate and a month or two free? What will they do when your gravy train runs dry? Pay $55 a month for 1 box and no premiums like in my area or pay the same for 3 boxes and a premium package with satellite?
> >
> > Your contention that satellite providers don’t contribute to local economies is absurd. Who benefits from the sales of these systems? Who benefits from the installation of these systems? Who benefits from the rare but occasionally necessary service of these systems? Who rents these companies property? Who supplies their utilities? Who benefits from the advertising on local channels (soon to be nationwide)? What about the local installation materials supply companies? The van and truck dealerships? The hardware stores that I personally spend thousands at every year? The sign companies? The uniform companies? The insurance companies? The office supply companies? The phone companies? Where am I getting all of this tax money that I pay every year? Is my lawyer in Egypt? My accountant in Mexico (we’ll he might be by now, he is a bit shady)? Those local training schools I attend, are the aliens? You blew that one.
> >
> > Who do you think contributes services to the schools that cable doesn’t serve? Did you forget about all of the American schools that aren’t anywhere near a cable system??? Don’t blame yourself, lots of cable companies do the same thing.
> >
> >
> >
This is CABL.com posting #76070. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mtW6
Posted in reply to: Re: Re Well put! by RR4490
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Re Well put! John Malone 6/26/2002 8:19:00 AM