Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: We are looking for Experienced Coax Splicers

I spent way to many years going from one part of the country to another to just sit by and watch the fly by nighters drag the business down. Pushing 20 yrs. in the business I went to work for an alternative access provider, now I see the "primes" come in with low bids and bring in the cable clowns who screw up miles and miles of plant and split leaving us to fix or replace cable or electronics. It will be years to come before a lot of the substandard work manifests itself. I remember the names and the faces of the people that were here, and if they come up anywhere in conversation I will pass on what I know about them, so their reputation as a hack is either born or added to depending how long they have managed to survive by moving around the country. I can't blame most of these guys for being wary of a company these days, I know when I was looking for work over the last few years I interviewed them more intensively than they inteveiwed me and turned down several offers that weren't up to my personal standards, we have reputations to protect and I for one will not sully it by working for a company that can't measure up. The prices they are able to pay is indicative of what they were willing to compromise to get the contract or get the job done. I realize that differant parts of the country have differant costs of living so it is really hard to judge what a fair wage is without knowing the cost of living in the area of the job or the particulars of the job being offered. You're right that there is a lot of complaining on this site, that's because this business is doing the same thing it did in the late eighties, the people that maintain their personal standards will get through this with their integrity intact and come out on top when it picks back up because they didn't associate their names with groups that would drag them down. This is not meant to be an attack on any one person, just observation from someone whose has been on both sides of the pole.

>
> Then I guess this could be eliminated if you all become primes, wouldn't it? I look at this board for possible work prospects, and all I see is everyone complaining that prices are too low to accept work....it is no longer a place to find jobs because of all the griping by those who feel they are too "privileged" to work for less than what they feel they deserve. Everyone has become a prima donna. I understand the idea of wanting to make a decent profit, but unless you are the prime, I guess that's not going to happen. I guess my question is, if you all feel that way, why not become a prime? (sunny)
>
>
> > Why should we come to the rescue of someone that underbid or is keeping the lions share for himself. We all have to make a decent profit.
> >
> > >
> > > Some money coming in is better than no money - some of the people answering these postings sound like college graduates who expected to get mega bucks when they got out of school. The economy situation now is you take what you can get, while looking for something better. For some, I guess pride is more important than taking care of families...
> > >
> > > > in house or sub?????? .12 cents a foot.
> > > > do i have to back in the door to get the job?
> > > > i will pick up my KY on the way.
> > > > wait i bet you want my insurance to....
> > > > do i need a drill, coring tool, or can i use my teeth?
> > > > because after you finish with me i know i wont have anything left.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Winston Churchill
This is CABL.com posting #71393. Tiny Link: cabl.co/msJF
Posted in reply to: Re: We are looking for Experienced Coax Splicers by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: We are looking for Experienced Coax Splicers Wife of a cable guy 5/10/2002 2:22:00 PM