Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: looking for info on starting a cableing bissne

If this is your first entrepenaural dive into the broadband business, my first question would be: What expertise do you have that will make you stand out from the rest of the competitive crowd? How does the quality that you provide to the respective MSO's exceed your competitor's level of quality?

In my humble opinion you're taking one hell of a leap into an existing inferno that will swallow you alive. The metro D.C. area offers extremely demanding consumer demographics i.e., instant gratification, zero tolerance for less than perfection, and extremely demanding environments. Additionally, you'll be thrown into a mecca of regulations stipulated by respective county board of supervisors and local department's of transportation. These two regulatory bodies (Both Maryland and Northern Virginia) clearly represent their constituents all the way to the next election. If you are a resident, you know what I mean.

Permitting, Work zones, hours, and complete restoration are just a few areas that must be dealt with simultaneously by you, the vendor and the MSO respectively.

The bottom line - Is that your company must consistently demonstrate excellence in quality, quality assurance, and communications to both types of your primary customers. Not that every system demands this level of quality but the metro D.C. area as stated above is a haven for attorneys, politicians, the FCC, et al., Get my drift yet?

Then you'll need to offer competitive prices that enable you to get your first agreement. This of course after demonstrating fiscal, financial, insurable, and historical reference checks. Once you get in you'll need to have a program in place that will weed out the un-desirable labor force. Yes, between video installation, HSD installation through system sweep and technical diagnosis through main-line construction. You'll need to compensate your employees or sub-contractors competitively. Your margins will shrink faster than you can define EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and ammortization).

Be prepared to put in a minimum of 12 hour days, eight days a week. And while you're at it, you'll wear that pager 24/7 until you grow your business systemically.

Think about it. If you have the intestinal fortitude to progress to the next step, then think about a less demanding and smaller market that won't eat you alive.

Good luck, Attitude and behavior is everything.(sunny)

23 year veteran whose been around both sides of the business....Peace

> I'F YOU WANT TO BE STRESSED OUT ALL THE TIME YOU HAVE CHOOSE THE RIGHT BUSINESS.GO WITH THE MOB.(crazy)
>
> >
> > Do yourself a favor and stay out of this business. You would have a better chance dealing with the MOB.
> >
> >
> >
> > > trying to start up a cableing bissness in the DC metro area so if anyone would like to give me anythought on what steps i need to take to do this please tell me i'm well know for my work in the area i just need to know how to get this off the ground who do i call to TM a name how to get a Bissness license stuff like that thanks for you time (usa)
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #71057. Tiny Link: cabl.co/msEf
Posted in reply to: Re: looking for info on starting a cableing bissne by Cable Boss2
There is 1 reply to this message