Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Here's a poll for mappers, designers, etc. The future of the business

While I agree with you on some points, like the bandwidth, and the capabilities of more channels. I also have some disagreement. For one I have a satellite dish and cable for the local channels. Everytime the wind blows (even on sunny days) or we get a storm my cable goes out, only during the strongest storms does the dish go out, long after the cable. Before I just had cable and for 65 channels (15 premium and 50 other) of programming I was paying $94.00 a month with 4 receivers! With dish I am getting 166 channels of programming (16 premium and 150 other) for $59.95 a month with 4 receivers, go figure? Now when cable finally gets 600 channels and telephony up and operating, how much do you thing it is going to cost? As much as a morgage payment?
And our cable office for Charter is approx. 60 miles away in another town, it takes 2 weeks to get a tech to come to fix anything (your better off if you fix it yourself).

> I disagree with you, because 1)satellite has reached it's capacity (at least for now). Satellites can't compete with the bandwidth a cable company has. Cable companies are currently offering the same channels as a sat. and faster internet. They will also be able to provide 600 channels in the near future with existing equipment. 2) There are a lot of people who live in apartments that can't or don't want to put up a dish in a temporary location. 3) Sat. can't offer bundles like broadband, such as telephony. You don't see too many offering it yet, but as the technology develops and cable becomes more and more reliable, they will.4) Some people don't want the hassle of being responsible for servicing their own equip., or worrying about sat. going out in a rainstorm. I used to have a dish, and that was one of my biggest complaints, because when it rained, I was inside and wanted to watch it, but it usually went out temporarily. When cable offered the cable modems, I sold it and went to cable. To close, I think cable has a bright future and I'm not going anywhere. Thanks
This is CABL.com posting #66228. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mrom
There is 1 reply to this message