Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:AT&T Broadband Tech Needs Objective Reply About CWA

look out....bosses dont like the U-word...be careful...i agree things have gotten much worse with present upper mgmt..that is about all i feel is SAFE to comment on

>I am a 7-year employee of AT&T/TCI. The CWA is looking to try and organize for the 2nd year in a row after failing the first attempt. I was completely against organizing in 2000, but conditions have worsened as far as how the employees and the customers are treated.
>I am just looking for both pros and cons to going Union. Rumors state that the CWA only holds about 4.5% of AT&T Broadband employees. I know that Union membership is at its lowest rate in 30 years. I am just looking for something to convince me that going in to
>bargain for a contract that you are unsure of the outcome is better than the current state we're in. I think that being a skilled worker without a college degree, I make pretty good money for my state's cost-of-living. The benefits aren't the best, but they're not bad.
>The biggest bitch we have locally is that are managers aren't involved and don't care where the customers or the company end up. Obviously, the fewer the customers, the less money that rolls in. After losing fellow employees in a lay-off, most of which was causes by an
>inefficent body of people in charge of our rebuild, I am looking for subjective answers. I know that the CWA can't prevent lay-offs. They can only try to help the employees set a procedure for the company to follow in the event of a lay-off. But this generally seems
>to benefit those with longer tenures. This would be great if our employees were provided with thorough training and the tenured techs were those with the best work ethics and the most knowledge. In the market I am in, that's not the case.
>If someone has reflections on both sides of the story, especially someone who has worked for AT&T Broadband, any information would be greatly appreciated, as long as there's no mud-slinging.
>Chad S (Advanced Tech)
>
This is CABL.com posting #48113. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mmGb
There are 0 replies to this message