Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Potential to Ground

Why do you need to "test" the ground? Most important in making sure there is no potential is to make sure there is a "common" ground for electric, catv & phone. Usually you have to follow the regulations in your state, i.e. ground to the first 6' of the water pipe {if it's metal} or if the house has a ground rod near the power meter. Some state codes allow you to attach a ground clamp to a corner of the power meter itself.
As for testing to with a volt meter, you can check from the cable ground side{braiding or shield} with a meter lead to the ground side {metal power meter housing or ground at the house panel} Do not bother with following the phone ground unless it goes to the power ground. If you find that the house panel or meter is not grounded at all notify the homeowner that she/he needs to get an electrician ASAP. My neighbor had no ground on his electric panel & when the cable company upgraded his service to a digital box the new drop melted & started a fire.
If you have any other questions email me at
(-REDACTED-)
Good luck.

>What does an installer do, armed only with a volt/ohms meter,
>when he or she needs to test grounding potential?
You don't always get what you expect, but you know what you got when you inspect. Happiness comes from within, some poor souls are just without.
This is CABL.com posting #47815. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mmBn
Posted in reply to: Potential to Ground by barbastro
There are 0 replies to this message