Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:What's happened to the primes?

With the way things are today take a little advise. I was a contractor just a few months ago, and got screwed for the last time. I picked my self back up and took a job for a in house outfit. I'm going back to school to try to get out of this industy all together. I realized you have to be a thief to be succesful in this business. At this time you should thank all those dishonest people who made the good and honest people the one's that are struggling today! I hope the people that have taken from the good get their own one day. I know times are tough right now but hang in there and take care of yourself and your family. The next time you here someone crying about the prices you might want to think twice and just say thank you for all the headackes you've been through.

>What goin on? Youv'e got Companies who are 3rd or 4th down line from the PRIME claiming to be the prime.All these middle men are taking all the money and doing little or nothing for it! It used to be the PRIMES hired the subs {who did the work}, now they hire a co. who hires another co. who hires another co. who MAY hire subs.I'm primarily talking about mapping, but after looking around for other types of work I'm running into the same thing. I'm convinced this is the reason for the lowering of prices over the past 2 yrs. EXAMPLE: The prime pays $250/mi---contractor takes 30% leaving $175/mi----next cont. 30%= $122.50/mi---and now comes the so called prime paying $75-$85/mi NOW, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW, AFTER PAYING FOR W/C INS.,LIABILITY INS.,HEALTH INS., TRUCK INS., TRUCK PYMT.,HOUSE PYMT, $250-400/WK MOTEL, $150-200/WK GAS,AND $100/WK FOOD ON THE ROAD, A PERSON CAN SURVIVE ON $600-800/WK BEFORE TAKING OUT 10% RETAINAGE. NOT TO MENTION WAITING 5 WEEKS FOR YOUR FIRST $600 CHECK! BY THE TIME YOU SUBTRACT JUST TRAVEL EXPENSES AND DIVIDE BY THE # HRS WORKED, IT COMES OUT TO LESS THAN MIN. WAGE! IF THE PRIMES WANT THE QUALITY WORK THEY CLAIM THEY WANT FOR THE MONEY THEYR'E PAYING, THEY HAVE GOT TO CUT OUT ALL THESE MIDDLE MEN! I HOPE OTHERS WILL STAND WITH ME AND REFUSE TO WORK FOR THESE FLY BY NITE COMPANIES. I PERSONALLY WILL NOT MAP FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN $150/MI EVEN IF IT MEANS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS AFTER 20 YRS.
This is CABL.com posting #45485. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mlZN
There are 0 replies to this message