Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:work in europe

I know the original message is quite old now---just now catching up from a long time gone---but thought the original Posters might still be looking for some info.

There IS work over there---Spain (new), Germany (retro), France (retro) are the biggies right now. (The Brit that replied must not know the right people---no offense intended mate---the company I work for has quite a few Brits working on HFC plant on the Continent). But my Spanish Friends tell me that the bad economy here in the US is starting to rub off on Europe at this point as well---starting to slow down there too.

AND if you aren't a citizen of the European Union (EU) and/or don't speak the language(s) of the countries where there's work your chances are slim to none at this point. Work Permits in the EU are getting harder to get than a Green Card is in this country---and the better they get at Telecom the less chance there is for anyone who isn't an EU citizen to get work over there. (That's why my company only has Brits there now---they're EU citizens---they don't need Work Permits).

I spent a couple of WONDERFUL years working all over Spain---(LOVED IT)!!! Was helping to train the locals---(not really doing the work per se)---now it's their Baby. (Quick Learners).

The Spanish don't need us anymore---the French never really even wanted us---and the Germans---Du sollst Deutsch sprechen.

Can you think in Metric?? How big is a 60 cubic cm vault??

AND---it isn't any kind of build like you've ever seen in this country anywhere except maybe New York City. You're definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto. (?Utility Pole?---what the heck is that??? Don't bother to take along your hooks---useless baggage). Be ready to tear up and replace a lot of sidewalks and streets. Be ready to splice in tiny vaults and run lots of interior wiring in VERY OLD buildings. (?Drywall? ---Never heard of it---think brick and stone!)

If you like to watch the Boob Toob---are you ready to shell out for a 220V PAL TV and VCR with NICAM so you can understand rented tapes--(or the audio on the System you're building)---via an SAP English track?? (Unless you go to France and then you'll have to buy SECAM).

Do you know anything about PAL systems for that matter?? Not all channels are 6 MHz wide---some are 8!! Return Band--5 to 65. That's what you'll be building, testing and maintaining!! (And ONLY the French can understand SECAM)!!

Are you ready to eat all sorts of unidentifiable and unpronouncable foodstuffs?? Like your beer on ice??---LOL!! (Not hot---but not ICE COLD either)!!

Are you prepared to drive amongst raving lunatics that make a New York Cabbie look like Grannie on her way to Church on Sunday?? On streets originally designed for Donkey Carts??

All this may sound flippant---but actually just trying to give you a taste of reality. If you can handle what I've described---(and then some)---and are fortunate enough to find a job over there---go for it---you'll have the time of your life!!

I'll be back over there the very first chance I get---with or without CATV.

Good luck---And keep your eyes on Eastern Europe---I'm betting there'll be a New Build Boom there once the Global Economy recovers. (Start learning Polish or Czech or Hungarian).

>
>Hey, if you find anything let me know, I'm also interested.
>
>Thanks!
>>looking for info. about work in any european city......

This is CABL.com posting #43804. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mlyG
Posted in reply to: Re:work in europe by rukkus
There are 0 replies to this message