Create your free account now! Sign up

Days gone by Fiber Splicing Rates

I hear about today's fiber splicing rates: Back in 1981 I had a long haul point to point fiber project from Pittsburgh to Baltimore along Railroad ROW, set up in 100 mile section between contractors, if you did your and the other contractor was behind, we moved into their section.  Anyway at the time it was 48 fiber count with splice about every 4-5 mile.  My portion was getting aerial done while my buddy did the UG plow along tracks we were paid $3.00/ft and fiber splicing was $165/fiber splice/test.   Construction sucked as we had a RR time keeper with the crews, every time an AmTrack train would come by we had to get all crews 50ft back off RR ROW-both aerial and UG, then re-set up. Then we had Western Union being union, we had to place aerial 4" below their 10ft open wire X-Arm so their man would go ahead and drop one side brace, we place lines then he came back again put the brace back on.  Now rates should go up over the years but I see fiber rates have really dropped. I hope your all seeing an increase, as most likely your placing larger count fiber as with ADSS.  Just be safe !!

This is CABL.com posting #387596. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbMZI
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Days gone by Fiber Splicing Rates patriotspl 5/7/2022 4:44:29 PM