Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Pro & Conns About PTO's

Ohhhhh, That's what that was... I HATED that thing. I need to move while in the bucket.

>You are correct about the acronym PTO being "Power Take Off". You are also correct that a PTO system runs off of a vehicle's transmission. However, the system that you described with a pump mounted at or near the front of the engine that is belt driven is NOT a PTO. It is a centrifugal clutch pump. There is a 'clutch' on the pump much like an automotive air conditioning unit, and when you flip the switch to turn on your boom, the clutch is 'engaged', which in turn puts the pump into action. I have had many bucket trucks over the years that have had any one of the three systems (Onan, clutch pump, PTO). Not that my opinion means crap, but I personally prefer the clutch pump. Its only drawback is that it does not provide AC. So, I always mount a DC/AC inverter on the vehicle for power. Onan generators, although pretty tough and reliable when taken good care of, are too expensive to have worked on when they go down (and they will! just replaced one last month!). They are also too noisy and tend to get the police called on you when you are doing midnight work! hehe The PTO has a serious drawback -- you cannot move the vehicle and run the boom at the same time. That is reason enough for me not to want one.
>
>Hope the info was of some sort of help. If not, thanks for taking the time to read my stupid-ass post! hehe
>
>>Yes and no...
>>
>>PTO is an acronym for "Power Take Off". I can't say to a certainty that there are no PTO's mounted on a transmission. But, I have owned numerous PTO operated vehicles and haven't seen such a configuration on any of them. In my experience, the PTO is a hydralic pump, mounted on the front of the vehicles engine so as to allow the belt system to power the pump.
>>
>>I prefer it to the Onan system. The draw back would be one doesn't have the added advantage of the Ac power the onan would otherwise provide. The last truck I drove with an Onan was in an old 87 Ford van. It had Ac/Dc and a pneumatic pump.
>>To say it was a "gas" would be an understatement. Not only would it inflate it's leaky old tires, power up what ever electronics you required, anytime or anywhere. It would fill your lungs with all the carbon monoxide you could stand. Some genious had thought it a good idea to mount the unit inside the van cargo area. Oh sure, he ran the exhaust out the deck, but it appears that as an onan ages it only uses the exhaust to emit a portion of the outgasses.
>>>PTO means Power Take Off, This is a gear box mounted on
>>>the side of the transmission that will run the hydraulic
>>>pump to your boom.
>>>
>>>>I'm looking at buying a bucket truck for splicing, and would like to know the pro's and conn's about PTO's. And does it mean power transmission overide. Thank you for youy help cabl bar.
>>
>>
>
This is CABL.com posting #38345. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mj8D
Posted in reply to: Re:Pro & Conns About PTO's by FiberDood
There are 0 replies to this message