Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Splicing Integrated Messenger Cable

I have done work with a wireless company that decided to run some fiber and try out one node to see how they liked HFC. They used .540 integrated cables and it was nice because they were able to attach in using no strand, making my job easier. The only problem we found was that splicing it was a pain because even after you cut the messenger off, it left a hump on the jacket that caused our coring tools to work ineffectively. (Would not core properly) In the long run, (2 years later) they put modems in the area where we used the messenger cable and had nothing but problems. (A big apartment complex) So I grabbed my sweep meter and went to find the problems. After sweeping out the entire complex, I found many cracks in the cable where the wind was beating it up against poles and the sides of buildings and allot of bad splicing because the contractors were coring it wrong because of the hump the messenger left. Personally, I think it is a nice quick-fix (Better than RG-11) but in the long run I would stick with lashed cable.

>Please post your comments on procedure, pro and con, for splicing I/M cable. Do you prefer working with I/M and why or why not? How much of it is used?
>
>www.lemco-tool.com
>
>
>
>
This is CABL.com posting #37153. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mjPp
Posted in reply to: Splicing Integrated Messenger Cable by Glenn @ Lemco
There are 0 replies to this message