Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: On Call

When I first started years ago you were on call Monday 8 AM until 8 AM the next Monday. You got 75 dollars just for carrying the pager. (Yes I said pager). If you were called out you got 4 hours time and a half even. If you were out 1 hour you got paid for 4. Anything after 4 hours was just time and a half. If you were out over 4 hours it was something major and you weren't alone.

These days the on call is still Monday to Monday and they give us 1 hour comp time for each week day Mon to Fri and we get 2 hours for Sat, and 2 hours for Sun. So we get 9 hours of comp time for a week on call. There are four of us in the rotation so it works out to 13 extra days vacation a year. If we get called out we get 4 hours comp time for anything up to 4 hours, then again after 4 hours it goes back to hour for hour. Our system is fiber to the building and unless there is a fiber cut, a node dies, or we lose a piece of headend gear we don't get called.
I think in the last 7 years I've been called out twice and they've been cut fibers.
And now that we have our EXFO otdr system in all the hubs, if the fiber gets cut I can call it up on my laptop and tell the fiber crew where the damage is within 2 feet. Can tell them where the closet storage loop or splice enclosure is all from home. No more running to the hub to shoot the fiber or driving around a neighbor hood looking for who's been digging.
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #370284. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbIuu
Posted in reply to: On Call by jmiller
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: On Call cablemn86 6/29/2016 1:15:34 PM
Re: On Call PeterKramell 6/23/2016 10:45:45 PM