Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama

Dont take what Im going to say the wong way, because trust me you are not the only person in this situation, but your post above is hard proof you dont have a clear understanding of how debt and deficits are accumilated in this country. This is very common among so called conservatives.  You guys hear Hanity, Rush, and the rest of them say things, and then try to repeat it, and defend it, without a full understanding of what is being said. I hope you dont delete your post, because like I said, many 'so called' conservatives have those exact same questions and it would be good for them to get a better understanding.

The deficit is not $16.7T as you posted.  The national debt is what is $16.7T.  The deficit is somewhere around $600B.

You, and many like you, don't understand the difference between the Debt and the Deficit. The deficit is that amount of money we spend in our annual budget, that is over what we take in. Example, we have an annual budget that calls for $2.5T in spending, but were only collecting $1.5T in revenue.  In this scenario we have $1T dollar deficit. That $1T is then added to the national debt.  The national debt is the accumilation of all past deficits AND any other past spending that was not accounted for with revenue in a budget or any other revenue source.

So, even though Obama has cut the budget deficit in half, theres still a deficit. That deficit is applied to the national debt, which causes the debt to increase even with the deficits cut. Obama cutting the deficit is key, because, generally speaking, the debt cant be addressed until budget deficits are brought down. Budget deficits are by far  the biggest (not only) contributors to the national debt. So if the deficit had not come down under Obama, and instead stayed at the levels they were under Bush, that $16.7T would be more like $20T-$22T. 
This is CABL.com posting #363559. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGJ1
Posted in reply to: Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama by johnmc3
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama johnmc3 9/11/2014 7:24:06 AM