Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: costs of fusion splicers, otdr and suggestions

You are looking at $5k-$20k for a fusion splicer, depending on new/used and what make or model you need.  You will have $4k-$15k in an OTDR.  You will also need the basics - light ID, midspan access tool, power meters, various hand tools, extra cleaver...the list goes on and on.  You will have $10k in all of this +/-.  In tools and equipment, not including the trailer, I would plan on $35k.  This should set you up pretty well.  As for manufacturer and models, that will depend on what you are comfortable with.  I prefer Fujikura/Noyes equipment and have had very good luck with it.  I also have an Inno splicer as my backup and have been pleased with it as well, but something about it keeps me from relying solely on the Inno.  I have a MM/SM OWL OTDR setup as well that I use as a secondary unit and have been happy with it as well.  There is a wide range of equipment out there with a wide range of prices.  I feel it is best to start out with quality equipment.  New or used, so long as it is quality.  The real question you need to ask is what prices will you be charging and how much business do you expect?  Figure that out and that should give you an idea how much you want to invest.  Good luck.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Quit being part of the problem!
This is CABL.com posting #359333. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFDR
Posted in reply to: costs of fusion splicers, otdr and suggestions by marklcasmar
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: costs of fusion splicers, otdr and suggestions marklcasmar 12/16/2013 6:52:46 PM