Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Nothing exciting about the storm work

I don't know how they are running things here, but let me share what I ran into during the Katrina project. They wanted to pay about $17 a drop, if I recall. However, you weren't assigned a particular area, you would have to go up and down streets looking for damaged or downed drops. That means burning a lot of gas trying to find piece work. If you happen to be in an area where someone has already been, you could be doing a lot of driving and not much climbing. Shouldn't be too much of an issue though if you know how to spot a fresh drop (indicating that street has been covered). However, here comes the real fun part...You had to call in each drop that needed fixing and build a work order for it. I imagine hold times would have been crazy as they would not only be fielding tons of customers calling in for repair orders but they would also be fielding lots of dispatched calls and other techs calling in for work order creation. That's 30-45 minutes on the phone and however long it takes you to replace the drop. That could be a bear as well if there's still some 60 year old tree laying in the path. It won't all be clean work.

So, in the end, the $40-50 might cover food and a few extras, but you better hope that $25 a drop puts you in a decent hotel room for the night as well as all the gas you burned, etc. If you're burning an hour between finding drops, replacing them, building work orders, waiting at gas stations for a few hours to get gas, etc. That $25 a drop becomes more like <$25 an hour average. You could make that staying at home.
This is CABL.com posting #350109. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDe5
Posted in reply to: Re: Nothing exciting about the storm work by JayCATV
There are 0 replies to this message