Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Guadalcanal Anniversary

Well after Bataan my father was put on a hell ship and sent to Japan. He was put to work in a coal mine for a year then sent off to work in a ship yard. At the ship yard a couple of the Japanese civilians helped him and a few of the other POW's out.
My father did not talk much about any of the wars he was in, he fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. When he did speak about them I lissened and didn't ask questions. I know he only revealed a small part of his experiences.

On another note I know from living in Japan for 8 years that the Japanese do not teach much about About WWII in their schools. From talking with my wife the subject in not dicussed much with the exception of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Most people under tha age of 50 only know that much about the war. Kind of like asking people here about basic US history like the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, who the United States fought in the War of 1812. But I digress. The world tends to forget things and like the old saying goes, Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #346807. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbCnP
Posted in reply to: Re: Guadalcanal Anniversary by goodsky
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Guadalcanal Anniversary goodsky 8/8/2012 9:40:01 AM