Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Installations for WOW cable

WOW in Evansville .... that brings back memories. That's where both WOW and the contractor I was subbing under made me wait (at WOW's insistence) while they came out and verified a simple downed/removed drop. Once they did that, and only AFTER they came and verified ....,  then they gave me permission (lol) to install another drop and complete a reconnect I was on. After waiting for my supervisor to arrive and confirm, I then had to wait for a WOW supervisor to also come out and confirm, that yes, the drop was actually removed and gone and I needed to replace it!

I couldn't believe it!!!! It was at that time, that I knew, after more then 20 years in cable TV, doing everything from underground, years and years of installs, project mangement and even owning my own contracting company with 25+ field techs, that Cable TV just wasn't for me anymore. WOW apparently, actually thought installers were so stupid that they couldn't recognize when an install needed a drop! Talk about insulting one's intelligence ....

Looked for a way out of cable from that moment on.

That has been quite a few years back now. Maybe it's different in Evansville now, but I doubt it. They did seem like some decent people there, I'm not saying different. However, to this day, that incident remains the most extreme case of micromanagement I've seen in almost 30 years in telecommunications.  I guess some people love to be micromanaged! It is definitely not for me, lol.

Met some great people in cable over the years, but it is the only business I know where pay goes down every year, and most cable companies actually despise their contractors (and most contractors seem to despise their field help, the very people generating their revenue!). Hope I never find a need to return!!!!! The grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Good luck to all .....

This is CABL.com posting #346528. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbCjk
Posted in reply to: Re: Installations for WOW cable by mrwhomper
There are 0 replies to this message