Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: To Stay in the Industry or Move On?

I never post on here, just look around.  After seeing this post, I deceided to give my .002 on the business, as I have walked away.  I have been in the business for 13 years, and yes the money was great years ago.  I started out with Charter, then moved onto Comcast.  As many have said, its what you make out of it.  I have learned many skills that have allowed me to move on and to wear many different hats. 

Working cable, has given me many avenues to make my own pay, day in and day out.  Electrician,  computer repair tech,  mounting tvs, installing security cameras, just to name a few, even being a commercial custodian, with the contacts that I have made.  I have many certifications, that allow me to do the work, not just saying I worked for the cable company.

I walked away, as I started seeing my paycheck get smaller and smaller each week, and the demand for quality techs decreasing with that.  I have always been a quality tech, I bragged on being one of the best, and it was followed up on my numbers.  Another reason I left, was because my desire to be the best was gone.  I was worth more to myself and my family, than working 6 days a week all day and night, only to bring home $600/ week. 

I admit it is hard to be your own boss, but you feel better at the end of the day.  I have found new excitement that I though I had lost, but I was just burned out.  If I fail now, there is no one to blame but me.  Before it was because the work was slow, or the work was taken away from our contractor group and given to other groups because our numbers were not so good.

It was great being a cable dog, all these years, and I will miss it, I have made a great living thanks to skillsets I learned.   Take care fellow dogs
This is CABL.com posting #345713. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbB6b
Posted in reply to: To Stay in the Industry or Move On? by TCOM_NC
There are 0 replies to this message