Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Fondest Memory of (This Business)

Those days are gone, and more than likely so am I. (Haven't had my hooks on since October 2011)
When I got started in the industry I lived in Detroit and Detroit had no cable.
I was a sub for  Comcast and was the ONLY installer in Warren, Michigan"s 3rd largest city, making about $125.00 per day.  My brother worked for Chrysler at the time and made about $75.000 a day.
I think minimum wadge was $2.35 hr back then, so the money was great, but I really wanted to be a "lineman".
The opportunity came along for me to get on a line crew and when I asked exactly what we were doing, I was told we were building something that was "going" to be called the internet.
While "some" of my friends were making like $125.00 a week back then it wasn't unusual for me to bring in a little more than a grand a week. (And had so much fun doing it.)  When I was "little" I used to love to play with toy trucks, and now I get to play with a BIG Truck (T-40) and make BIG BUCKS too.
I dreamed fo seeing the country and now I could go ANYWHERE in the country and have NO trouble finding work.  So I spent many years roaming from state to state jumping from one company to another and still making great money.  Too many times I would get a job that I really liked and for one reason or another we would get shut down and I would have to pack up and go somewhere else.  I spent my money like there was an endless supply and all too often I would be between gigs and run out of money.  Back then that was never a problem, I would just find a job somewhere else and tell them that I need $500.00 to get there and they would Western Union me the money and I would be on my way. (So many others did the same thing and as soon as they got the money they would never be heard from again, but I NEVER did that)
This life has certainly got in my blood and I miss it (the way it "was") more than I can say, but the way that it is now.......forget it.
With God all things are possible
This is CABL.com posting #344329. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbBJR
Posted in reply to: Re: Fondest Memory of (This Business) by uknowme2
There are 0 replies to this message