Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: wildcat strike

There is only 1 way to do the walk out... everyone would have to do it.  Then again I think it is very pointless.
Look at the sat companies and how they are trying to take back control.  The area I live, there is no HSP.  It is
Directv.  A few years back Directv bought 180 connect which owned several contracting companies across the country.
Those guys are not gonna walk out.  From what I have heard things have gotten easier for them and everything else.

Here is the thing you have to remember... cable tech, sat tech... you are a beginner tech.  There is much more to learn and other places to go.

I am surprised directv doesnt pay like 9 an hour...  Why would they pay more?  They can get anyone off the street train them for a week or 2 and say go at it... 

So until the economy is doing great, and there is more growth in the industry... Nothing will change.

For you cable and sat techs what I am saying is simple and I have heard it a lot through the years here...

"I would rather work at McDonalds than do cable work"  Some have done so, others still doing it.  The fact is if someone
from McDonalds can do your job with very little training, HOW do you expect to make a lot of money?

If I was the Prime I know all I would have to do is either get some college students or hit the fast food places and ask them
if they would like to make more money...  I would have a line out my door.

If you want to change the industry you will have to go against directv, Dish, even the SBCA... The SBCA helps everyone, but more so the companies...

The more tough the regulation, the more tough it is to get in the industry, the more you secure your future.

We should start requiring EVERY tech to be:

SBCA Cert
PHD in communications
and some sort of apprenticeship.
High voltage and low voltage Electrician License

Which of course would have to be government regulated because the companies wouldn't put them in that position.

Right now there is unlimited supply of workers... Unless you have tons of money, good luck being able to lobby for what you want.
Which would be to make the qualified tech limited.

Trust me if I had millions to lobby against every state to change the rules... I wouldn't be working.

So either you have more than enough money to justify to not have to work,
or your broke trying to make a buck.

Who will fight for you?  Not the one with the millions...

Here is a thought....

Try starting another Non profit organization and see who you get that will donate money to go to washington to buy off politicians. 
I am betting nobody would want to. 

History repeats.  SBCA was doing that for dish and directv.  They were like why are we gonna pay big money to an organization that is fully
involved in rules and regs?  So the SBCA had to scale back.  Now they still do testing and some lobbying, but not as much.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it makes a good point.

This is CABL.com posting #343254. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbBsw
Posted in reply to: Re: wildcat strike by ramsat
There are 0 replies to this message