Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Bowlin in Lexington KY is GONE!!!

As far as everything going to fiber......yeah, I am sure that will happen in a day or two......NOT! Coax is definitley not what it used to be, but it's not going away anytime in near future. I mean, why are they still putting coax up? I just picked up a mile and a half of it to splice in a sub-division. They still need to maintain what they have out there. I put up my first fiber in '92, and heard how it was the future then. It is not cost efficient to go out and build fiber to the home for the cable companies. They don't need to. They can compete with what they have out there for now, and new technologies always seem to bring about more work. Take node splits for instance. I have made some really good money off of them over the last couple of years. If I bought into how cable was on the way out every time I heard that, I'd have been out 25 years ago. When Primestar first came out, everybody said cable was doomed. Problem is everything out there that competes with cable, has it's own set of setbacks and there is no alternative that is so far superior that would make the end appear to be anytime soon. Far as evolving, like I said, I was putting up fiber 20 years ago, when you were still a snot nosed kid. I went to fiber school 15 years ago, before you even got into cable, and decided I liked cutting coax better and stuck with it, and will till I can't make a living at it anymore, then probably go on and start splicing fiber. That or go back to supervising or managing. Silly rabbit.....tricks are for kids. There is a Proverb that says this:  "Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly" Proverbs 15:21. Think about that. Good luck, Dustin.
Gary Vest
This is CABL.com posting #343201. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbBrF
Posted in reply to: Re: Bowlin in Lexington KY is GONE!!! by kingfisher
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Bowlin in Lexington KY is GONE!!! fibermonkeyman 5/4/2012 11:49:20 PM