Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: contractors

It comes down to a lot of contrators especially the newer ones are running in and out not answering all the customer questions to get on to the next site.  I even had my dad complain to me about the tech who came out to his house to do his install.  Never saw it, but they knew he was a contractor. 

Another thing totally non related.  Is the way a contractor might be dressed.  You can be dressed up very nice and not have Dish or Directv on your shirt (really shouldn't anyway unless your employed by them or by a dealer for them) So all of a sudden they got this guy there that isnt really representing the main company.  So why is this guy here and not a company guy here to do my install?

Truth of the matter is the first little while your in this business, your gonna mess up.  As an employee and as a contractor.  The question comes down to how many 3 month or less contractors or employees do you have that have 3 months or less experience with a 1 week training course?

I understand running into situations in the field and have to over come them, but as a contractor if your inexperienced, your just making contractors as a whole look bad.

Then there are the contractors who have been in the field forever who were making 80+ an install, then goes to 75, then down to 70, then down to 65, then down to 60, and now I have seen some directv installs down to 55.  Of course the same thing happend on the IRD side.  25, to 20, and now I see 15.  So a tech used to making 80/25 is down to 55/15, has to haul A$$ to get done.  Theres no questions being answered, cable bearly being attached, whatever to shorten up so they can make the same money they did 7 years ago.

Then you have contractors like me that say oh 55/15? I'll work somewhere else in a different part of the field, or I'll go work for any other 9+ dollar an hour job out there.  To this day I still refuse to do TV work that pays less than 70/20.  In matter of fact since there are no real companies offering that anymore I don't do any.

The point here is people are trying to make money.  The system is broken.  You are only gonna get what you pay for.  People trying to be contractors that shouldnt, and contractors in the business trying to stay in and make the same.

The HSP have no problem sending someone out there as an employee and give them 1 week training and say we will get you SBCA in about 6 months.  As long as people apply, who cares what kind of work they get out of it?  If they have to send a QA guy out to fix some up here and there and pay you very little, whocares?

The contractors are competing against the rookies, and told to go back for free plus we are gonna back charge you.  So contractors who are doing the Satellite TV service I wonder why they would do it.
This is CABL.com posting #339716. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbAxs
Posted in reply to: Re: contractors by mine1
There are 0 replies to this message