Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: according to Daniel

The First Amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Thomas Jefferson explained it so clearly that his words have been used in decisions by courts throughout US history: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

That is where we get "separation between Church & State" as the meaning of the First Amendment. From the dude who helped write the U.S. Constitution.

Question to you: Obama decides that Navy Captains should be required to read from the Koran to their crew every day. Do you take up arms with the ACLU to fight it, or say it's fine for government to tell citizens what it should believe?

My view:Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one, and it's even okay to be proud of it. But it's not okay to go waving it around in public, and especially don't go shoving it down my children's throats.

This is CABL.com posting #337273. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbzT3
Posted in reply to: Re: according to Daniel by TheRobMan
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: according to Daniel TheRobMan 12/29/2011 9:36:50 PM
Re: according to Daniel jmiller 12/29/2011 8:05:28 PM