Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port

The devices you just explained about (except for the hole drilled tap housing using a screwdriver to create a short) I actually built back in the late 1997 and before. I modified Jerrold, C-COR, Magnavox, SA and other manufacturer passives using mini-coax, F-81's in the splitter plates (as you previously stated) and existing tap ports re-directing both forward and return signals for sweep troubleshooting and ingress localization. It seemed that every system I worked in, they "mysteriously" vanished form my truck. I had a "shady" business partner at the time and had a good idea where many went specifically in Tennessee, Iowa, West Virgina, Mississippi and Louisiana. You are right, it DOES speed up the troubleshooting process and back then my devices were like gold to new prospectors. I actually caught 2 contractors trying to steal them from my truck (years ago) because they could not suppress a node and were stressed to the max.

This is a basic concept to modify these taps for isolation purposes and it works very well. I do not accuse anyone of stealing the idea (please do not take this reply the wrong way) because it is basic knowledge to do this if one wants to try to speed up their production as this did at the time. But also at the time, there were a few "bad apples" who did not possess this basic knowledge to make them, so they stole them. But as the old saying goes, "What goes around, comes around".  As you can tell, you hit a "nerve" from the past...lol. This is the first time I had heard of these in years, so, it perked up my ear!

Greg Tobin
314-422-4423 cellular
This is CABL.com posting #334397. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mby9F
Posted in reply to: Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port by badgerman27
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port badgerman27 10/20/2011 12:15:33 AM