Create your free account now! Sign up

I Atleast Tried But Im Still A Dawg

So week three of my new position at a local ISP NOC it finally happened.  Speaking with one of the "support engineers" which is really just glorified helpdesk we began to talk about pay.  Apparently in his opinion what is happening in america is people wasting their money.  According to him after college he made 20,000 in the early nineties and due to his decisions he is doing very well now.  After talking about job pay and me informing him of the average pay of the pay that my mother was recieving when she retired from the local transit authority he balked.  He stated that she must have been lying, there could possibly be no way after working for Marta you could actually be making only 40,000.  I then stated how my aunt was a yard supervisor and she only made 25hr and then he balked again. She is definitely lying he stated.  I then stated how field technicians have been taking pay cuts for years and that in the early nineties they were making more than today.  His answer was that they are not as important as "we are".  A company cannot possibly pay employees the way they were in early nineties and continue to make a profit.  HIS EXAMPLE DETROIT.  He stated that in detroit that the majority of people are make 35+ an hour.  They just waste their money.  I then told him he is obviously unaware of what is going on in the rest of the world.  He told me that he knows people who make only 10hr and are doing better than him.  I asked him how.  He said they save.  He believes that field technicians have always been overpaid and are still overpaid.  He says that they should start out at about 7 and top out at 10-12.  I want you all to know that on average we take about 4 calls a day a piece.  In my office WE HONESTLY DO NOT DO A DAMN THING.  Most of the day we are just surfing the internet.  The troubleshooting is all GUI and no CLI.  We are basically the people who you call at directv who tell you unplug your reciver and plug it back in.  This man seriously believes that people can live on 10hr.  I always believed it but I now definitely know that CORPORATE AMERICA IS F$$KED UP.  Basically these are people whose jobs just have not been shipped overseas yet.  What I dont understand is how they cannot empathise with the millions who are suffering and want to work.  The guys i spoke to today honestly believe that if everyone makes a "better" decision that their would be no unemployment and no povery.  I for no that this is not true (I did graduate with degree in finance).  Capitalism just does not work that way.  Am i young and still uninformed as they say.  Or is it just them.
This is CABL.com posting #334254. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mby7m
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: I Atleast Tried But Im Still A Dawg Nightlife1970 10/15/2011 5:08:44 PM