Create your free account now! Sign up

Correct AGC Interstage Configuring for SAII

That is CORRECT. The interstage on the SAII needs to maintain a 9dB insertion loss in order to keep the gain of the amplifier constant. If not, you could over (or under) attenuate the input depending on what is plugged in to get correct output levels.

The standard should be as follows to keep the 9dB interstage loss:

* Using a AGC in the interstage, the i/s pad should be 0dB, because the AGC had a 9dB loss.
* Using a Thermal EQ in the interstage, the i/s pad should be 5dB, because the Thermal EQ has a 4dB loss. (or visa versa)
* Using a standard EQ in the interstage, the i/s pad should be 7dB, because the standard EQ has a 2dB loss.

These calculations are from memory when I used to give training for S-A, but I can investigate by looking at my overheads in my storage if needed.

Another thing is USE the YELLOW pads NOT the BLUE pads on the forward. The BLUE pads are good for 450-MHz and below including the reverse.

Another IMPORTANT fact is to use the correct AGC with the proper unit. There is a part number connected with each type of AGC and they should be used with the designated units or there will be problems! Just because it plug's in the socket, does not mean it is the right AGC. There is a cross-reference in the old S-A catalog. I have somewhere if some one needs it.

Good luck!

Greg Tobin
Interactive Broadband Technical Services, LLC
314-422-4423 cellular

This is CABL.com posting #331685. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbyrV
Posted in reply to: Re: How to use Interstage VAR-EQ on SA LEII by sdeph
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Correct AGC Interstage Configuring for SAII Phantom Splicer 8/13/2011 5:09:06 AM