Create your free account now! Sign up

Good News........ Bad News

The slots have been filled. Thanks to those that supported my position.

To those of you that felt compelled to wax indignantly, I am reminded of the semi-literate, semi-toothless boxer, who said "A mind is a terrible thing"

What you guys don't seem to understand is you may have significant skills. No one denies you that. But your ability to isolate a coax leg, core it and slide on a fitting isn't where your value lies.

Your value is your willingness to drive a bucket of bolts 1500 miles, live in a shit hole hotel or some leaky travel trailer, crawl through strangers back yards, and risk your life and safety for a check far in excess above your peers.

Some years ago, I was fortunate enough to know a very wealthy guy by the name of "Bullet Bob" Turley, he is a Sy Young award, and Hickock belt winner, who pitched the winning game of the 1958 world series for the Yankees. I was in his jet heading to run the A/V for his convention at the Atlantic City Convention Center and asked him how I might get a jet like that. He replied, "Do the things no one else wants to do" He explained people don't like risk.

Now just being in this business is a risk, you risk your life and safety, your families well being. Market fluxuations that you have zero control over, effect every job you drive up on, you risk to some degree if you will get a nickel, as the contractor may be a thief, or just some poor guy that is passing on the screwing he is realizing.

So lets just forget this absurd notion of gathering together 5000 of the most independent, independent contractors on the planet. IF you are going to be in this business you had best come to the realization that your willingness to hang it on the edge, is your value, not your ability to string coax.

And as I said the market sets that value, and with every job, you simply answer the question, "is it worth the risk". It's as simple as that. Now what you're willing to risk and bear, is to another an absurd gamble. To those of you splicing for .40 it's easy to scoff at .10, but don't be so presumptuous as to judge anothers desire to take the risk.

This is CABL.com posting #33129. Tiny Link: cabl.co/miMv
There is 1 reply to this message
Re:Good News........ Bad News vette mike 2/28/2001 10:10:00 PM