Create your free account now! Sign up

Cable in the south....

Wow is all I have to say. I spent 3 years in this business in a Comcast system in Maryland and loved it. Yea sure I had a couple complaints but I think no matter what you do and how much you make there will always be SOMETHING you want different. Anyways I had interviewed in Central Florida and was told a couple things that were different but I thought it didn't sound horrible so I gave it a go and it is a Brighthouse system. First I was told drops up to 100ft and sidewalks were our responsibility (kinda took me back but okay I can adjust) and everything else I asked about seemed the same. So I start and quickly realize how wrong I was. First off you are responsible for drops up to 300 ft with rg-11 for a grand total of $19 including 8" depth, grounding, and wall box. Secondly not only are these part of your installs (semi understandable) BUT YOU ACTUALLY GET SRO's JUST FOR DROP BURY. Next instead of taking away the WF code and WF responsibility they simply took out the code and force you to run Custom A/O's for a whopping $14. Just these two things wanted to make me loose my mind. Now lets move on to equipment. When I worked for Comcast I could carry a whole box of chargers and remotes as extras and no one gave a damn. Here BH only gives you one per device and if you loose them they are $9 back charge in addition when they don't work (had a bad charger and was forced to sit at job until K L "supervisor" could bring me one an hour later) it is you who eats it. MDU SRO....your responsibility. I mean the list goes on and on. The only convenient thing I found was the free TOA service which did help (when the equipment was issued/cleared properly at the wharehouse). Another kicker, why is BH the only utility who doesn't bury drops in new neighborhoods to the home? Comcast does up north?Anyways in MD we were able to lay temps, didn't HAVE to WF unless scheduled with sub on our free time where I could charge what I as my own entity thought was fair, worked only one weekend day (sometimes 0) and was able to get 8-12 jobs done in the same time instead of a whopping 3-4 jobs here. Then the QC's (which I didn't fail any) but watched some techs get $50-$100 back charges on 8 trap job. What I am really curious about is how anyone can justify running your truck into the ground, using your own tools, fuel, etc. while watching BH push any work that carries liability or costs money onto the backs of contractors for mediocre rates. I now understand the kind of situations that have caused so many to come on here and rant. I use to think 1800 WAH but now that I have seen how much money is missing to the sub down here I understand how so many become discouraged and unmotivated. I also understand the lawsuits as they treat you in no way shape or form like a contractor down here. I myself wanted to be closer to family but now will be heading right back to where I came from unless I can find an in house opportunity or a job with a post/pre wire company of resi's and commercial offices.
This is CABL.com posting #329188. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbxNE
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Cable in the south.... NoKBull 6/14/2011 6:14:05 AM
Re: Cable in the south.... hookman 81 6/13/2011 9:55:36 PM