Create your free account now! Sign up

FTTH - coming to a system near you.

It will not be long until Coax Hardline is a thing of the past.  Yes.. it will take years for the smaller systems to migrate, but new technologies are pushing FTTH and it started two years ago in the commercial business environment.  The good news.. this will increase demand for higher Fiber counts and more fiber construction.  Verizon's FIOS and AT&T's U-verse are forcing the MSO's hand to react and find counter measures.  I'm currently involved with many detailed RFOG type technology/PON roll outs that will take Fiber to the front door step.  It's all about HSD speeds and Big Pipe delivery systems.  Maybe this is why Commscope has started transitioning away from hardline as their primary business and focused more on fiber and turnkey delivery systems?  I think this is a good thing and it will open up more and more jobs in the CATV/MSO world; but you better understand this new fiber application. 

Anybody else involved with these trials?  I know it's kind of mums the word on the Engineering side at our company until testing is completed.  The speeds these new applicaitons are realizing is really incredible.  50Megs plus at a low cost..  I've always been a RF guy and I find myself moving IP just to stay in this industry.  The cool thing that it's not cost imparative either.  Just drop a module in the NODE and you've created high speed traffic for 32 businesses.  It's a new business niche that will require qualified people to deploy. What you seeing out there?? 
This is CABL.com posting #322680. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbv6G
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: FTTH - coming to a system near you. Joe50 3/9/2011 6:26:26 PM
Re: FTTH - coming to a system near you. up2oneghz 3/7/2011 1:15:49 PM
Re: FTTH - coming to a system near you. cabledad 3/7/2011 8:33:19 AM
Re: FTTH - coming to a system near you. skidmark 3/6/2011 10:15:31 AM