Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:so say the cable gods

My one year exp. gleened me this thus far....The polotics are almost unbearable! We are not spliceing DNA here guys. Lazy Primes...Dishonest employers...I just like being out there, building, troubleshooting....living and learning. What ever happened to a long term plan? Why do thease employers have to play such games? Most of corprate america considers 25% a good growth rate...some of thease guys are in the 200% growth rate and are still so greedy that they are blind! One note on the drug abuse...if you were spending the time studying the industry and the equipment there wouldnt be enough time in the day to catch a buzz. The moneys good guys...you just dont have to drive a $100,000 car in your 2nd year.

>I have been in this bidness for 22 years & it is cyclical. It waxes & wanes through a strange combination of the whimsey of the financial world played out against the bleeding edge of technology. One thang that is continuity across the ages, drug & alcohol abuse seems to plague this industry. As for getting some strange, I think that may well be part of the male DNA, a chromosome that shrieks out "go forth & fertilize".
>
>As for the cycles, the first big cycle was the first cable boom, then when the mid 80's downward spiral hit it really was a rotten time to be a hook, top or otherwise. The next great cycle was fiber bursting onto the scene allowed many to bask in the glow of beaucoup bucks pouring in as the reel turned. Alas are we facing another drought? Will the greedheads on Wall St. loosen their purse strings and allow those of us who take pride in a tightly lashed span, we who slave over a shrink boot with dualling torches whilst the winter winds bear down & try to snuff the flame like an acolyte after the last hymn has been sung . . . bah I think I'll sell Amway.
>
>>This life of the high tech nomad is not for all. Miles from family, friends, the familiar, HOME... Some resort to drinking, drugs or strange women to help make daily life worth while. Many labor for years, inevitably earning what should be at least small fortunes, and have nothing to show for it. The chances of getting jilted by an employer or employee seem to be greater than in any other industry in America. In my two short years in this profession, I have been lucky enough to recognize bad situations and steer clear. Yet I have no doubt that my ticket will come up sooner or later. Will I make it...establish a successful contracting company that is looked upon as honest and straight by employees, primes and customers? Or will the cable gods deem me unworthy...lack of work, cheated out of valuable retention, robbed by employees, and subjected to the ever-feared IRS audit?
This is CABL.com posting #31995. Tiny Link: cabl.co/miud
Posted in reply to: Re:so say the cable gods by Animal AKA Will
There are 0 replies to this message