Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Nationwide Strike? Men or Mice?

To answer your question: Yes what I have now is good for me.

I started in a union shop 25 years ago and got out 23 years ago realizing that the union did absolutely nothing for me but take their dues every paycheck and keep me from advancing in my field.

I have since held just about every job in the CATV industry from install and grunt to construction crew foreman and system manager. None of which I could have achieved if I had stayed in a union shop. I make good money and get paid for what I know not what I do. This industry has aloud me to work all over the US. Canada, South America and Japan. There are still a lot of opportunities out there and good money to be made.

MSO's, primes, and others in the food chain do not look on installations as a skilled trade anymore. They look at installers as bodies to put units in the field, and that's all. This is most true for contractors, Primes and others know that they can always find someone to do the job for less and don't worry about quality even if they say they do. They can always send you or someone else back to fix the problem later and it don't cost them anything. Just as long as they can keep putting units out in the field. It's been this way for a long time now and it's not going to change.

The only way to improve your position is to increase your knowledge, expand your job skills, and be able to offer more than just a body to put units in the field..
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #319906. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbvnW
Posted in reply to: Re: Nationwide Strike? Men or Mice? by jbuc3939
There are 0 replies to this message