Create your free account now! Sign up

Re:Digital Troubleshooting

Actually, it's a hardline problem as well as a head-end problem. The plant needs to be "air tight" to have digital work
properly. A line tech needs to go out and check the whole span from the node to the house. It wouldn't hurt to change all of the cable
from the tap--pick point-- to the converter. Make sure there are no house amps in line as well. Good luck.

>Did you try to swap the converter? I used to have the same problem with satellite systems. Sometimes it was signal strengths but most of the time it is bad box. (Question is how many times has this box been repaired?). If so was it repaired correctly? Try swapping the box.
>
>>I work as a contractor. 2 weeks ago I was given a work order to rewire a house. We went to the house and the customer told us that the problem was that the digital converter was "locking up". We watched the set until this happened, a minute or less. The video froze up but the audio continued. Sometimes the video would catch up on its own. Sometimes you would have to turn the converter off. The customer said they would prefer not to have the house rewired. She asked if we could run a temporary line fron the tap to the converter. We did that, same problem as before. The house was wired with RG-6 so we changed all the fittings and splitters. I called the service manager. He said we had a bad drop. I had explained what we done with a temporary line. He said it was still a bad drop. We changed the drop, same problem as before. I talked to one of the other managers at the office and he asked why we got the order rather than a service tech. He felt it was obvious the problem was not in the house. Channel 3 had 24db signal and 78 had 5 db. There was a 20 db amp in the garage. We removed it, obviously our signal at the tv dropped. We checked the signal at the tap. The were 2 to 3 db higher than we had at the ground block. Today a service tech went out and he called back and said the house definitely needed rewired. A modem that is in the house is working perfect according to the customer. I have only done cable work for a year but it appears to me that the problem is in the plant rather than the house. Any ideas? Thanks
>
This is CABL.com posting #31837. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mirF
Posted in reply to: Re:Digital Troubleshooting by caw1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re:Digital Troubleshooting VODSQUAD 2/7/2001 10:28:00 PM