Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: sub contractor or employee you tell me?

A lot of people starting in this industry regularly confuse being an employee of a contractor with being a contractor.
The first of which btw is with out a doubt the most common scenario, especially when your talking installs.

Its actually very simple to determine whether you are defined as an employee or an actual subcontractor.
Just look at how you are being paid.

An employee (dose not have to submit an invoice for his regular paycheck) and will have Federal, State and local taxes as well as unemployment insurance and Social Security being taken out of every paycheck.
Additionally an employee will get a W2 at the end of the year and typically has never had to sign any kind of contract or subcontract agreement with his employer.

An actual subcontractor (dose have to submit an invoice before he gets paid) and will usually have only a 10% retainage (to ensure work quality) that will be taken out of each check, no other kind of taxes or UI of any kind will be with-held.
Additionally a subcontractor will get a 1099 at the end of the year and has had to sign a contract or subcontract agreement with the contractor that he is working through.

There are of course other particulars that legally differentiate between the two classifications, but these are perhaps the most obvious and easiest to define.

:)

This is CABL.com posting #315981. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbumD
Posted in reply to: sub contractor or employee you tell me? by cuzngary
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: sub contractor or employee you tell me? digitalphonemike 10/25/2010 11:51:45 AM
Re: sub contractor or employee you tell me? dfwdtv 10/24/2010 3:45:07 PM