Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: goodbye, onan

You would be better off sending it out to Cummings and having it rebuilt and have them put a RV muffler on it
because by the time you go thru getting the right HP motor, getting the pump flange then spending all the time to get the rpm's set right so your boom is not a carnival ride or slower then a snail, because most of your motors will not speed up or slow down with the load, they don't have a load sensor to the carb, just an overspeed blade that chokes the motor, plus the simple fact if you use ac power in your bucket you will loose that or have an added expense of a power inverter, then you have to take another thing into consideration is the extra batteries, having your truck run all the time and the higher amp alternator you will need to charge the batteries, 2 cylinders vs 8 cylinders  much less fuel, on one of my trucks I kept a electric heater in the plugged in so the truck was always nice and warm without the truck engine running

I went that route before and it was as much of a headache as having an onan that was as temperamental as a un-kept women 

Like someone else said, tune it up, clean the carb, they are good running motors, 200,000 plus  rv & boat owners can't be that wrong, 90% of your rv's & offshore boats rely on Onan's for domestic power, you just have the added hyd. pump
This is CABL.com posting #314684. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbt1I
Posted in reply to: goodbye, onan by Jacob Seymour
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: goodbye, onan Jacob Seymour 10/1/2010 11:23:25 PM