Create your free account now! Sign up

Scientific Atlanta Power Supply Project... HELP M

Greetings

I'm actually an Engineer for some broadcast radio stations. I'm working on a project for our local cable company. I'm using a Scientific Atlanta trunk amplifier that I have modified to house a cable modem and a wireless directional radio to send a internet connection that they are going to be using with a slingbox and a camera to send remote broadcasts back to the head end. I'm trying to figure out how to modify a Scientific Atlanta Switching Power Supply model 279660 to give me a 12 volt output instead of the normal 24 volt output to power the cable modem and wireless link radio that I have mounted inside of the trunk amplifier. This will let me power everything from the 60 volt line voltage. I've tried using two 1000 ohm resistors to make the voltage divider. I get the 12 volts on the other side of the resistors, but when I put a load (the cable modem) on the output, the voltage of the 24 volt supply drops to a little over 3 volts. I think there is something in the power supply that regulates the output power per the load presented to it that might be getting confused by my voltage divider. Does anyone have any ideas about a possible modification that will get me the 12 volts and amperage I need? Both the modem and wireless radio are 12 volts. The modem draws .750 ma and the wireless radio draws 1.2 amps. I think the power supply is a 3 amp supply so that should be sufficient to power both units. Thought I would ask the guys that mess with them all the time before I dive into trying to figure out the schematic for the supply. If anyone has any schematics for this unit that would be helpful or a simple "Replace this component dummy" would be awesome!!

Thanks for any help

TheCrustyChicken
Stephenville, TX
This is CABL.com posting #306062. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbrME
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Scientific Atlanta Power Supply Project... HEL FiberSlasher 6/24/2010 1:22:39 PM