Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Best way to remove pole.

I hear ya man but aerial is a completely different world than underground.. That's cool you want to keep working but I'm just trying to help you out here.  We have 5400+kv bare strand on almost every pole. It's not like you jump on a HDD and start pushing buttons and the same goes for a digger derrick or bucket truck or even pole changeouts.  I've personally hit 5400kv, seen trees catch on fire and down guys melt, strand 2' away get sucked into power and turn purple, trucks tip over, poles pulled down, guys lose limbs, teeth, have their hands blown off, run over and disfigured for life and/or killed from not knowing what's going on. 

So what happens if u contact power in an uninsulated aerial lift?  Or the tiewire rolls off an insulator bell and the trees start catching on fire, do you have the equipment to pull the cutouts?  Or forget to check a pole clamp and your jafo greenhorn pulls the strand into 3 phase a few spans down while doing resags.  What happens if you contact power a half mile back in the easements and your not breathing? Who will know how to rescue you bc it'll take the power co at least 45min to get out there?  Pole transfers are very dangerous, even for 1st class linemen.  Shit we don't even let guys in a bucket unless they've climbed for 6 months.

And believe me guy I'm not trying to be an asshole but this is stuff you need to be aware of and it's not something you just go out and start doing.  Every single aerial lineman on here knows someone that has been seriously hurt or killed doing this job.  And to not understand the basics of aerial is just a suicide mission.
This is CABL.com posting #305476. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbrDc
Posted in reply to: Re: Best way to remove pole. by danimal
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Best way to remove pole. cableho 8/27/2010 8:55:50 PM
Re: Best way to remove pole. polehopper1 6/16/2010 7:01:07 PM
Re: Best way to remove pole. olndog 6/16/2010 6:52:30 AM