Create your free account now! Sign up

Can't say I agree with this republican

Surprised? I'm not a party liner just because I agree with much of what they say. Government has no business regulating what is said on the web or the airwaves. How do they plan to test for this "morality"? Some people have no clue.

Michigan State Senator Bruce Patterson, a Republican, is introducing a bill that would require the state's journalists to be licensed by the state. If Patterson gets his way, journalists would have to prove that they have "good moral character" and "ethics standards acceptable to the board," a degree in journalism, three years experience as a reporter (as well as awards), and three writing samples. The moral character (or intelligence) of many journalists notwithstanding, this law advocates outright government control of the press, pure and simple.

Patterson, who ironically also practices constitutional law, claims that the law would protect the public from begin barraged with misinformation from "an increasing amount of media outlets -- traditional, online and citizen generated." Of course the law wouldn't stop people from going online or watching cable channels to get news originating from outside the state, but clearly his aim is to get the ball rolling down that slippery slope by inviting other proponents of censorship to jump on his bandwagon.

This is CABL.com posting #304782. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbrr0
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Can't say I agree with this republican MCT-40 6/5/2010 10:19:07 AM
Re: Can't say I agree with this republican GlobalPointData 6/5/2010 9:28:38 AM