Create your free account now! Sign up

Does not matter who says what except...

The person who pays you. If your customer wants it done a certain way, it needs to be done that way. I guess that is the point everyone is forgetting. I will soften it when I can, but if my customer wants it done a certain way that is the way it gets done. And for the record I never said it doesn't expand when heated. I still maintain that when done properly, it has no lasting effects. As a matter of fact when done properly, it is virtually impossible to tell when the dielectric has been heated and removed versus not heating... Don't know about the gilbert fitting deal, but I happen to think that they are the best to work with by far.

>Ha ha ha....that's pretty funny stating that Gilbert fittings don't pull off of cable, nor stating that the center-conductor doesn't expand when heated.
>That right there is a load of bunk. I'm not calling you stupid. All splicers are different. But what needs to happen is if a spec about a certain cable is known,
>and cable companies state a certain way to splice, then those procedures should be followed. I've tested, re-tested and re-tested the re-tests of what you stated.
>I've been able to pull off Gilbert fittings from cable in certain situations. But for the most part, it is difficult to. So I'll agree with that.
>ALL METAL DOES EXPAND WHEN HEATED. PERIOD. It's a scientific fact. If the cable is inserted into the fitting
>while still hot, and tightened, when it does cool, there will be problems in the future. Why don't, contractors in the most part,
>and yes, in-house techs listen to the engineers who design cable and do the work the way that was intended??
>With the way technology is going, offering HSD, Telephony as well as Video over the same cable plant, there needs
>to be more attention and time taken while splicing plant. This plant should last quite longer than what it does now, with less
>services calls. So what if you go thru Y-190 blades more often, and it takes longer to do. They're plastic and cheap to buy. Stock up on them and you won't have a problem. What it
>comes down to is: "Take your time to do the job right the first time." I know contractors get paid by the job, not by the hour.
>I was a contractor and know the difficulties faced day to day.
>Here's a question....Would you rather get gigged on a job you did, all because you were in a hurry?
>Or would you take an extra 3 min. to do it correctly, and know the money you earned was honest and the work
>will last longer, thus providing customers with better service? And ultimately giving you a good work reputation,
>allowing you more jobs.
>
>>
>>OK,
>>My input on the matter. The center-conductor is a copper coated alloy(alloy). We are working with Mhz. When working in the high freq's we have a signal flow acrossed the surface of the center conductor(copper), this is called skin effect. When the copper coating is heated, it changes it's electrical property's. I haven't seen it show up on the sweep on new build, but who's to say that six months into the next season that odd problem's start showing up. As for suck-out, bull-shi_, the diameter of thr center conductor does not change when heated. Suck-out's occur when the seizure teeth do not bite, the fitting is not tight, or the center-conductor was never bitten. Gilbert fittings can not be pulled off a cable! Hot center conductor or not. I use Y-190's,it's only proper, but the rederick on this subject is funny. Call me stupid?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

This is CABL.com posting #29902. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mhWs
There are 2 replies to this message
Re:Does not matter who says what except... Cablerus 2/1/2001 8:39:00 PM
SO TRUE VODSQUAD 1/6/2001 9:04:00 PM