Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Dont Understand???

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...
The job of management is a very specific job skill, just like splicing or lashing or pulling drops or whatever. It requires very different skills. I have worked in a lot of industries under managers who came up different ways - through the ranks or out of school. The hard truth is there is a much smaller percentage of guys who worked their way up that are successful managers than those trained to be. By that I mean, in the eyes of the company.  
I have been on the receiving end of bad management by a former yard dog. I came on after he was promoted. He took care of "his guys". Unfortunately I wasn't one of his guys. When they didn't show on Monday after a wild weekend I had to pick up their slack.
"We're all working together".
When they needed some extra dough to make a house payment thay got the cherry picked jobs.
"Don't worry, it'll all work out fair"
When the new equipment came in guess who got it?
"Hey man your stuff ain't broken, is it?"
It doesn't take someone who has done your job to be able to know what it takes to get it done. Not being from the front line allows you to deal with all issues and workers fairly applying the companies rules and regulations. I'm willing to bet if there are guys you think are willing to bend over backwards for you, there are also guys that you didn't get on with so well. How do you treat those guys?
It took me a long time to realize this. I worked my way up. I dealt with the go-to guys and the slackers. I made mistakes.
You work for the company managing labor for the benefit and profit of the company. That is your job. You need to choose between your job and your buddies in the yard. The best thing, if you want to get into management, is to take your skills to another company where you can use your management skills and your practical experience to manage guys you've never worked with.
Good Luck
This is CABL.com posting #296207. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbpdH
Posted in reply to: Re: Dont Understand??? by olndog
There are 0 replies to this message