Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Health Care Summit.

Oh, I know whats going on. But i really wonder if you do.  If you did, you would know that the debt has grown the most under Republican administrations. If you look through out history you will notice a trend.  Under Dems, taxes usually stay the same or increase. But the deficit usually gets lower. Under Republicans, taxes usually stay the same or decrease.  But the debt usually gets higher. But lets try to put party politics aside for a moment.

SS is in trouble.  But it is fairly easy to fix.  They have used the same fix for decades.  The fix is that you increase the salary cap for SS taxes.  Right now, once you reach $109K, SS taxes are no longer deducted from your check. So what they do is raise the cap to something like 175K.

The hard fix is medicare/medicaid. The biggest drag on our budget is the cost of healthcare.  Medicare/Medicaid makes the federal government the biggest health insurance company in the country.  The costs of providing healthcare services raises at a very fast pace.  I think it triples inflation.  So if you're worried about the country going broke, healthcare is the first place you have to look to make changes.

Look at the amount of employers that provide retiree benefits. With the exception of workers covered by union contracts, the percentage of workers who receive retiree benefits is almost 0.  We either drop the medicare programs, and let workers fight private sectors employers to get retiree benefits.  Or we do what is necessary to bring down the cost of providing healthcare.

If my taxes and even my premiums go up, but the deficit is lowered.  I can live with that. But I cant live with paying higher taxes, and premiums, while the deficit continues to grow.  The later, is the path we've been on.  If you think about it, its kind of retarded to continue down this same path.
This is CABL.com posting #293373. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbotZ
Posted in reply to: Re: Health Care Summit. by goodsky
There are 0 replies to this message