Create your free account now! Sign up

Low income wireless service.. Next on the agenda

I don't know if this topic has been visited here but just in case it hasn't.  Working the hood lately and get pissed when I see horsecrap like this.  

https://www.safelinkwireless.com  ..  Read this writeup and on their facts sheet they tried to associate Reagan with this government option.  Reagan deregulated the industry from “social equity to an economic efficiency objective.”   It would be an injustice to associate Reagan with the wireless program and upcoming broadband push.  How can they offer something to people that have no income that others with jobs cannot afford.  When the broadband service happens free computers will have to be included.  How else can you use it unless its on the phones. 

Found elsewhere:
"As technology advanced and more and more information and services became available in online formats, the concept of the Digital Divide emerged and those lobbying for Universal Service began to consider the inclusion of online access as a necessary component".... 

????  This entire program was formed to give rural communities access to phone service.  It wasn't formed as a necessary way of life.  How do you get from just being able to offer a service to providing it? 

Lifeline is understandable especially after rural communities were upgraded.  I wonder how many of these cell phones are used to make drug deals and commit other crimes.  How does this government plan on getting the people to go to work if they have no incentive?  You gotta dangle the carrot to keep capitalism going.  Maybe I'm losing my marbles but this seems like total bs.  This has ties to both parties but has started to grow recently.  Atleast the phone companies agree the fees associated are too steep to continue to offer these services.  They are wanting to keep rates lower.  That fund is paid by fees on telecom services.  If rural telecoms get a smaller piece of the pie how are they to keep up with technology.  It appears that this service stunts growth throughout our country.  Their site says TracFone provides the cell phones.  How can they do this without getting a cut?  I dont have the time to research this in full but if you guys come across more information pass it along. 
This is CABL.com posting #292640. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mboia
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Low income wireless service.. Next on the age bushmaster 2/22/2010 7:54:44 AM