Create your free account now! Sign up

Olympic Opening

As the sun rises over the jagged skyline of New York City, so much resembling the fractured teeth of a retired kick-boxer I pause to reflect on the ceremony in Vancouver last night...

WHAT IN THE HELL WAS THAT????

I know and love the Canadians for being nice but geeze...show some balls. This is the Olympics, not the politically correct-everybody plays-nobody loses-let's just have fun-AYSO BS!
The youth of the world meet every 4 years to kick the crap out of the other people in their event. And hopefully get their picture on a Wheaties box or a jockstrap endorsement or bragging rights or something.
This opening ceremony was the bunny hill of spectacle - the out of town closing of a broadway show - a Will Farrell movie.
I've got to wonder if the aboriginals were passing the pipe when this so-called creative director presented this concept.
"Hey, so here's what we'll do...shine a bunch of projectors around and show pretty pictures and I think I can get some guys who didn't make it in the Circ de Soleil auditions...Oh yeah...and we'll get a bunch of those goth/punks from the bar district and teach 'em some RiverDance steps and get 'em all fired up on Moosehead beer! Ooooh yeah, it'll be fine doncha know."

My thoughts on the longest, dullest opening ceremonies in history-

Somebody needed to throw Bob "I can't shut up" Costas down the luge track.
They should have told us that when they said aboriginals they meant indians - I kept thinking "Where's the boomerangs?"
Did anyone else think the giant ice totems that mimicked the Frankenstein dance were just a little bit phallic?
I was hopeful that the giant bear would do something more than just stand there. The woven plastic Christmas reindeer you put on the lawn have more animation.
OK there were lotsa indians...where were the cowboys? Calgary had cowboys.
I am soooo sick of jazz-pop-hiphop renditions of national anthems. Oh Canada was completely unrecognizable. Bring in the military band - let them play the song - Let the little jazz girl do a Pepsi commercial.
Life reality #1. Even if you are the head of a country's Olympic Committee it doesn't mean you can give a better speech than most High School Valedictorians. "We are coming to you through the magic of television" What the hell is this, the sign on of the DuPont Network?(younger folks - Google it)
India has the Himalayas and 1.1 BILLION people and there's only two guys in the whole country that know how to ski?
Evidently in Canada they have Francophones - when can we get them at the Verizon store?
Kathy Rigby made a better Peter Pan.
OK so the whales swimming through the floor were cool.
Did the honored guests look like the Village People to you?
The giant bed sheet that was suppose to be the Rockies. Did they get that idea from a Junior High production of Sound of Music?
Note to director: When skiers come down a mountain they don't magically go back up, and down, and back up again, and then back down - FOR 10 FREAKING MINUTES.
By now everybody was texting on their Frankophones.
KD Lang - Great singer...the song Hallelujah...all I could think of was "Wasn't that in Shrek?" Also, isn't KD looking a lot like Wayne Newton lately?
Capital punishment should be reinstated for the composer of last night's music. He must have knocked out half of the viewing audience.
Why didn't somebody send this "creative director" to see Lion King on Broadway?

It was sad that they had the mechanical malfunction at the end. But after that snooze fest I'm surprised any of the pillars could, ahem, get it up. Wouldn't it have been great to see a bunch of burly Canadian lumberjacks rush out of the stands and muscle the last pillar into place like a fallen redwood? It would have put a drop of testosterone in the most dainty Olympics opening ever.
I'm desperately looking forward to the Opening Ceremonies in Rio de Janerio.
This show could have used some transvestite salsa dancers.

Anybody else make it through the whole thing?
This is CABL.com posting #291757. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbn3V
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Olympic Opening johnmc3 2/13/2010 7:52:56 PM
Re: Olympic Opening Nat Light 2/13/2010 6:06:10 PM