Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Is anyone still making good money contracting?

I quit over six years ago.  Put away the hooks, still got a couple Sadelco meters and some rusty coring tools.  I bought my truck with 50k miles on it, and six years later I've got about 80k.  I used to drive  50k a year! 

After the rebuild was over there was no reason to go back.  I remember installers bragging about their $1200 checks when gas was $2/gallon.  I had to laugh, knowing what real money was like, but still home every day and a good tech could average $15$20/hr after tools /truck/gas/taxes /overtime/benefits and everything else a contractor gives up to be his own boss.  I planned on installs after splicing, but when the rebuild ended and Comcast became the Evil Empire the prices dropped from $1200/week to $800/week, and gas and insurance just kept going up.  No way.  After you do the math, you work for less than $6/hr.  I was a good tech.  40 drops, 20 sticks, 100 units.  I was pretty frigging good, but if good techs can't make $1000 in 5 days there's a serious problem.

It takes an absolute moron to work that hard for that kind of money.  You have to be stupid.
This is CABL.com posting #291675. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbn2B
Posted in reply to: Is anyone still making good money contracting? by GoneCablin
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Is anyone still making good money contracting? wallfishman 2/14/2010 10:31:52 AM
Re: Is anyone still making good money contracting? ronjrcosten 2/12/2010 8:49:19 PM