Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Try this math...

You, me, and people like us receive bail outs or have them available to us at all the time.  A small business can have a rough year, report a loss on their taxes and receive money from the government. This can be done, I think, 3 consecutive years.  Obama has now made it so that small businesses can amend their taxes and report loses from previous years. We all pay much less than the top tax rate.  Many of our freinds and neighbors who have lost their jobs, have received extended UE bennies and have been able to keep their lights on.  Pell grants, and various small business grants are available to us as well.  Detroit has paid billion, maybe trillions, in taxes over the years, and they have created jobs that further add to our tax rolls.  So for us to act as if the middle class receives nothing and Detroit has some how stolen our money is just wrong, IMO. 

Detriot was buried in healthcare costs for their active and retired workers, as well as their families.  Toyota has no healthcare costs, because Japan provides universal healthcare for the bulk of Toyota's active and retired employees.  Now, even though Toyota has this advantage over Detroit. Toyota is still given additional tax breaks in this country for opening plants. Despite these dis-advantages, Detroit had been able to hold their own. What ultimately hurt Detroit was the biggest depression we've seen in decades. IMO, the effects of allowing Detroit to fail in an already failing economy, would have been the wrong thing to do.  In normal times, I may not have supported such a thing. But at the time this was going on, letting Detroit fail would have been a mistake, IMO.
This is CABL.com posting #290832. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbnO0
Posted in reply to: Re: Try this math... by nrb1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Try this math... nrb1 2/6/2010 1:26:53 PM