Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What do you do to keep warm?

Not sure what type of cable work you are doing, so it is hard to tell how much dexterity you need with your fingers.

As for me, I had always found that a GOOD pair of leather roping gloves (fitted) are the best choice.  S, M, L, XL.....dont bother unless you are one of a lucky few who these fit perfectly.  Look for a farm store or a tack shop (horses) roping gloves is what you want, the tighter the better, just make sure you can bend the fingers, and you are set.  If you are splicing or the like, the advantage to wearing the leather gloves is that they can take a shot from the torch.  You wont burn yourself, or ruin the gloves, just run the torch over em when they are cold... all good.

As far as the velcro mittens deal...  I am not a big fan.  If you are gentle enough not to destroy them, more power to ya, but I found them to get in the way more than anything.

I am from the frigid midwest originally, and what another poster said holds true.  The key to staying warm is to keep moving.  The faster you work, the warmer your body will be, and the sooner you can get indoors.

Another thing you might consider is keeping more than one pair.  If you are working in the snow, they will get wet, and wet and cold is BAD.  Not a bad idea to keep a pair of REALLY warm hunting mittens (index finger seperated from other fingers) around while you are doing the work that won't require dexterity.
This is CABL.com posting #283240. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mblQy
Posted in reply to: What do you do to keep warm? by primebusiness
There are 0 replies to this message