Create your free account now! Sign up

Something to be said....

May have been posted before, still pretty good though!

There is something to be said fro growing old and speaking your mind.

WW II Battleship sailor tells Obama to shape up or ship out !
GO NAVY!

Thisvenerable and much honored WW II vet is well known in Hawaii for hisseventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes allover the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body, hehas never spoken out before about a government official, until now.

He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.

Dear President Obama,
Myname is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year.People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because Iremain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.
I enlisted inthe U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW IIretiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home"located on the western end of Pearl Harbor , allowing me to keep alivethe memories of 23 years of service to my country.  One of the benefitsof my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and directeven to the head man.  So here goes.

I am amazed, angry anddetermined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hellbent not to grant me that wish. I can't figure out what country you arethe president of.

You fly around the world telling our friendsand enemies despicable lies like: "We're no longer a Christian nation"" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even announced to the world, "America is mean-spirited."  Please tell her to try preaching thatnonsense to 23 generations of our wardead buried all over the globe whodied for no other reason than to free a whole lot of strangers fromtyranny and hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, butI don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulnessin anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you.To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a mansitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn'tlived up to her ideals." Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion ofpersonal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to winindependence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should bea slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? Ihope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, anda lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we feltreal strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because westand for freedom.  I don't think you mean the ideal that says equalityis better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot ofwhite people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Takea little advice from a very old geezer, young man. Shape up and startacting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see youget shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You wereelected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderersand corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

Andjust who do you think you are telling the American people not to jumpto conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of hisfellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us todo what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that blackcollege professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? Youdon't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't wantus to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

Onemore thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had todefend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chiefnow, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks youfor 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. Butif you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of oneAmerican soldier is not worth the best political strategy you'rethinking of.

You could be our greatest president because youface the greatest challenge ever presented to any president. You're notgoing to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloatedeconomy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul ofwho we are as Americans is our big fight now.  And I sure as hell don'twant to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes

Whena 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation" stands up andspeaks out like this, I think we owe it to him to send his words to asmany Americans as we can.  
Please pass it on.

This is CABL.com posting #282633. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mblGL
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Something to be said.... sweatforhire 12/3/2009 5:42:39 PM
Re: Something to be said.... LocoDawg 12/3/2009 5:05:11 PM