Create your free account now! Sign up

The movie isn't real

Even if they say it is. All too funny but then only Alaskans and people that have lived here for any length of time would know for sure. Still it cracks me up these people were willing to lie about news articles. I call that fraud and don't know how all they had to do is pay the Alaska press club a fine. Isn't it a criminal act? hahaha IT'S JUST A MOVIE!!

“The Fourth Kind,” an alien abduction movie set in Nome, used a guerilla marketing campaign to try and fool audiences into thinking the main character was a real person studying real mysteries in Alaska.

If you Googled the movie when it first came out, you might stumble across stories that appeared to be written by real Alaska reporters. Except some of those stories – like the claim that the movie is based on real “archival footage” – are fake.

Now the film company distributing the film has agreed to give $22,250 to the Alaska Press Club and a Calista Scholarship Fund in a settlement with several state newspapers, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports.

News-Miner Columnist Dermot Cole, who has been following “The Fourth Kind” since August, explains:

The agreement is the first official admission by the company that its “viral internet marketing” included the fabrication of news stories and attributing them to the Nome Nugget, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, the Anchorage Chronicle and other publications. In addition, the company included real news articles without permission.

I caught a matinee of the movie on my day off. The whole flick, from start to finish, bombards you with promises that much of what your seeing is real footage that happened to real Alaskans.

That includes -- spoiler alert -- a grainy scene that was supposedly taped by the Nome "Sheriff's" department depicting a Nome man killing his family.

This is CABL.com posting #279713. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbkVF
There are 0 replies to this message